I am a book designer for publishers (and select self-publishers) of all sizes, providing art direction, cover design, interior design and layout for all types of editorial projects, from large coffee table art books to small topical essay-style non-fiction books. Currently I focus on fiction, topical non-fiction, and adult picture books (art, archaeology, history, cookbooks).* I run a small office in Toronto, but work with clients in the United States and all across Canada, and am currently teaching book design for the Publishing Certificate through The Chang School, Ryerson University.
*I ONLY DESIGN LITERARY FICTION AND POETRY FOR PUBLISHING FIRMS. I DO NOT DESIGN ANY SPIRITUAL OR RELIGIOUS BOOKS, YA, OR CHILDREN’S BOOKS, SORRY.
What do I bring to your project?
- art direction, design, layout and typesetting for print books a focus on finding the right visual message that will best convey your work’s emotional and rational core to your intended reader
- a strong focus on typography so that your work is not only pleasurable to look at, it’s also enjoyable to read
- typeset in English and French
And I have been honoured to have received both the AIGA 50 Books/50 Covers and The Alcuin Award for Excellence in Book Design.
A select list of past and current clients:
- Cooper Hewitt Smithsonian Museum
- McMichael Canadian Art Collection
- Figure 1 Publishing
- Royal Ontario Museum
- Coach House Books
- House of Anansi Press
- The Aga Khan Museum
- University of Toronto Press
Before starting my own studio, I worked ‘behind the curtain’ as both a designer (McClelland & Stewart Publishers) and art director (Raincoast Books) so I know about most aspects of publishing and can help steer you through some parts of the process.